Friday, January 10, 2014

We Are Family!

Hello to my new Mom Squad friends!!  I am so very excited to be a part of the Mom Squad and to “do life” with all of you through this blog, the Facebook page, Pinterest, and more!!  Life is not easy!...Amen!?  So, how great is it that we can share, relate, and encourage one another through something as simple as a blog?!

I would like to introduce you to myself and my family – you’ll be hearing a lot about them!! 

My family is so very much defined by one word:  ADOPTION.  13 years ago, I was 18 years old, single, and gave birth to my precious daughter, Courteney.  It was during my pregnancy and the hopelessness that I felt and the devastating circumstances that surrounded me, that I finally said “yes” to the lover of my soul Who had pursued me for years…Jesus.  About a year after Courteney was born I met one of those one-in-a-million kind of guys, and 10 months later we were married!  I remember crying when I found out from mutual friends that Dan wanted to date me.  You see, Courteney is a special needs, chronically ill child, who was without a father.  Because of the rejection that I had already experienced, I couldn't wrap my mind around why Dan would want this or choose this, but he did!  He followed the call of Christ to love “the least,” - that was our first miracle of adoption!

We recently adopted our son, Kevin from El Salvador.  Kevin came home to us as an 18 pound, nine-year-old….yes, you read that right.  Dan and I had known Kevin for 6 years and it took us 4 loooooong years for our adoption to come to fruition.  He came home in March 2013 and is thriving!  He has doubled his weight and has grown about 3 inches!  This was our second miracle of adoption in our family! 


Both of our miracles of adoption have stemmed from the GREATEST miracle of adoption that we have experienced, which is that Christ says that we are His children – that we have been ADOPTED.  Amen!!!  I love that because we are His children, we are to reflect our Father - to be His hands, His feet, and His heart to this world!  What a calling!!  So, referring to each other as “sister” is not a just a term of endearment, but it is TRUTH!!  We are family and on a mission together!!

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!  And that is what we are!
~1 John 3:1a

I look forward to the future, getting to share with you more about our adoption, the amazing beauty of special needs children, offering hospitality, navigating the medical system, being advocates for our children and to those in need, and on a lighter note – I can’t wait to share about great Cleveland food (besides Jesus, food is what keeps my marriage strong!!) and fun things to do in the area with your family!!!  It’s going to be great!! 

Many Blessings!
Christine


2 comments :

Susan Smith - Starsunflower said...

What a wonderful story! I recently acquired a job working in two adult foster care homes. From the get-go I felt a calling that is difficult for me to describe. It brings me so much joy to be a part of the lives of the people that I work with.

Also, I have my own adoption story, from the other side of things. Several years ago I wasn't as connected with God and Faith as I am now. I ended up in a not so good situation where I was considering abortion. My beautiful mother by the grace of God somehow caught wind of the situation. She called me up and said "do you know HOW LONG your brother and his wife have been TRYING to have a baby?"

With that said, to make a long story short, my brother and his wife adopted the baby, and went on to adopt a son from China after that. They have a beautiful family and I get to see them, which makes it so nice.

At any rate - thank you again for sharing your story. It is a beautiful one indeed!

The Mom Squad said...

Su,

And thank you for sharing your beautiful story!

God Bless!